Chief Program Officer
Seeking Outstanding Leadership for Dynamic Growth
Pearlstone Center, Baltimore’s kosher farm-to-table retreat center and leader of the Jewish Outdoor Food, Farming, and Environmental Education movement (JOFEE), is nationally recognized as one of the most innovative Jewish organizations in North America. Every day we emanate genuine, loving warmth; we connect people to land, community, self, and Spirit; and we embody Living Judaism through real, applied values such as welcoming guests, environmental stewardship, and spiritual wellbeing.
Pearlstone impacts over 20,000 annual participants through immersive retreats, organic farming, dynamic Jewish experiential education, and community greening efforts. Recognizing Pearlstone’s success, the Associated Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore has empowered Pearlstone with management responsibility for the rebranded Pearlstone Campus, a gorgeous 164-acre property with forest, streams, fields, and camp infrastructure. Pearlstone’s outstanding board and management team have developed a visionary campus master plan which will dramatically increase our impact through expanded agricultural, hospitality, and educational enterprises.
To lead our programmatic efforts and guide a growing team of Jewish experiential educators during this dynamic period of growth and success, we seek an exceptional full-time entrepreneurial leader with experience in non-profit program management and expertise in Jewish and/or environmental education.
Our educational programs are anchored in Jewish farm-based education utilizing crops, greenhouses, orchards, vineyards, and animals. Wilderness skills and farm-to-table cooking are also central, and throughout our programming we deeply integrate Jewish teachings emphasizing sustainability, justice, spiritual connection, and community. We work with many non-Jewish groups as well, including Baltimore City Schools and others.
As Chief Program Officer, you will supervise at least four full time employees, and will take part in strategic planning, program design, implementation, evaluation, staff recruitment and hiring, marketing strategy, fundraising, board engagement, and organizational partnerships. You will be a core member of Pearlstone’s management team, integrating programming with hospitality, agriculture, and sustainability activities, prioritizing staff sustainability and a vibrant, healthy workplace culture.
You must have:
● Passion for and deep connection to our mission and values
● “People skills” for strong relationships with parents, children, fellow staff, lay leaders, and partners
● Expertise in program management and informal educational leadership
● Proven ability, over at least three years, to effectively train, lead, and supervise at least three full time staff.
● A track record of sound judgment and effective problem solving in a fastpaced environment
● Success over at least three years in managing budgets of at least $200,000, meeting financial targets
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Desire and capacity to cultivate a pluralistic, inclusive and sustainable Jewish community and society
● Experience with Jewish education and farm, food, and/or outdoor education
● Flexible work schedule wherein evening, weekend, and Jewish holiday work is occasionally required
Salary & Benefits: We offer competitive compensation based on experience and capacity
How to apply: Please send your resume to email@example.com with the subject “Chief Program Officer” In the text of the email, please share informally and briefly (under one page/~200 words) what draws you to this role and main relevant skills or experience. No formal cover letter necessary.
Assistant Maintenance Director
Pearlstone Center seeks an Assistant Maintenance Director. This person will be responsible for the preventive maintenance and repairs of the facility, equipment and grounds of the Pearlstone Center. S/He will assist with completing preventive maintenance schedules and maintenance repair schedules and will engage in the scheduled tasks as required.
Strong preference for individuals with experience with, interest in, and/or enthusiasm for green building, energy efficiency and sustainability in general. Pearlstone is a green retreat center and environmental education center, and our maintenance approach reflects those values.
- Knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems a plus.
- Knowledge of construction principles and standards.
- Ability to schedule, plan and complete repair and renovation projects.
- Ability to read building plans and schematic drawings.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Operate with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to work independently.
- Flexibility to accept new responsibilities and direction as necessary.
Qualifications include: high school diploma; four years of experience in plant operations, construction and/or repair work; and a valid Maryland State driving license. Interested candidates should apply online.
As Cook, under the supervision of the Executive Chef, the employee is responsible for assisting in: the quality preparation, presentation and serving of all food; ensuring timeliness and appropriate quantities; and the maintenance of a clean, sanitary, organized, safe and efficient kitchen environment. This position will require weekend hours.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Three to five years of hands-on cooking experience and knowledge of kosher observance and Jewish style cooking
- Three years of experience preparing food in large quantities, for 50-250+ people
- Food service Sanitation Certificate (Serve Safe) issued by or accepted by the state of Maryland
- Experience in a hotel/retreat center a plus
- Abide by kosher laws
- Food procurement, receiving and storage
- Inventory management
- Food production
- Guest service
or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Pearlstone Center, located in Reisterstown, is seeking a part-time/on-call Facility Associate to assist in the day to day operations at the Center. The two main areas of this position include food service and overall care and appearance of the facility including: meeting rooms, common areas, dining areas, kitchen, lodging rooms, bathrooms, and storage areas.
Candidate will be called upon to participate in catering services including table setting, serving, light kitchen prep and clean-up. Responsibilities will also entail housekeeping duties that include, but are not limited to, sanitizing and restocking bathrooms, vacuuming, window cleaning, and making beds.
Candidate must be extremely organized, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and possess the ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. Exceptional customer service is a must. All candidates must have reliable transportation as no public transportation is nearby Center.
This position does not include benefits. Work schedule is as need and flexible, but will not exceed eighteen hours per week. One year of similar work experience is helpful, but not required and willingness to learn about the kosher food service industry.
Interested candidate should sent resume to: THE ASSOCIATED: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore, Human Resources Department, 101 West Mount Royal Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
fax to: 410-837-1279
or apply at: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=4295411.