The JOFEE Network Gathering is the annual gathering place for thought leaders, enthusiasts, and program professionals throughout the Jewish Outdoor, Food, Farming and Environmental Education world. With some of the best Jewish outdoor educators from around the world leading workshops, hands on learning sessions, panel discussions, and keynote addresses, participants will take away new experiential education tools and resources and build new relationships with like-minded Jewish professionals across the country. Whether you have been a JOFEE-nik from the beginning or are newly interested in bringing JOFEE programming back to your community, the JOFEE Network Gathering is the place to be.
Join us for the opportunity to showcase new initiatives, share best practices, learn from veteran JOFEE professionals, spur collaboration, and strengthen our connections to Jewish tradition through the outdoors, food, farming, and the environment. Explore new opportunities for networking, coalition-building, and hands-on activities to engage youth, young adults, families, and more with meaningful Jewish experiences.
All who are involved, interested, and/or invested in the JOFEE space are invited to attend.
No matter where you come from, this year’s conference has something for you!
- Jewish Nature Connection: showcasing initiatives that engage Jewish people holistically in the context of ecology, the outdoors, and the environment.
- How Jews Eat: explore the complex, historical, fun, thoughtful, and enigmatic relationship Jewish people have with food from the seed or egg to our mouths.
- Jewish Sustainability Action, Activism and Advocacy: tackle the Jewish response to climate change, unprecedented political occurrences, and educating the next generation in the classroom, from the pulpit, at the JCC, or in the field.
- Jewish Community Farming: support the emerging and ongoing education and engagement of Jewish Farmers and Educators. This track is planned in conjunction with the Jewish Community Farming Field Building Initiative.
During the gathering, attendees will:
- Learn about and engage in innovative JOFEE programming to bring back to their Jewish community or institution
- Meet outstanding seasoned and formative leaders in the JOFEE field as well as JOFEE Fellows and other early-career professionals and educators
- Develop and strengthen their network of educators and professionals for resource sharing and collaboration
- Jakir Manela, Pearlstone Center
- Adam Berman, Urban Adamah
- Michal Wetzler, Pearlstone Center
- Hody Nemes, Hazon
- Michael Fraade, Louisville JCC
- Elan Margulies, Teva
- Sara Shalva, Pearlstone Center
- Zelig Golden, Wilderness Torah
- Cara Silverberg
- Becca Weaver, Boulder JCC
- Shamu Sedah, Adamah
- Abrah Dresdale
- Yoshi Silverstein, Hazon
- Rabbi Psachyah Lichtenstein, Pearlstone Center
- Rachel Asarnow
- Joanna Perlin
- Leib Kaminsky, Greening and Advocacy Consultant
- Mira Menyuk, Pearlstone Center
- Joe Murray, Pearlstone Center
- Paul Entis
- Rabbi Jessy Gross
- Yoni Stadlin
*Our educator list continues to grow! Check back often for updates …
What is JOFEE
Jewish Outdoor, Food, Farming & Environmental Education
- JOFEE stands for Jewish Outdoor, Food, Farming & Environmental Education. JOFEE experiences connect people to Judaism, community, and the natural world through hands-on, thoughtful and engaging Jewish content across different ages, Jewish backgrounds, and religious approaches.
- JOFEE experiences connect people to Judaism, community, and the natural world. JOFEE programs engage participants of many different ages, Jewish backgrounds, and religious approaches. Tens of thousands of people engage in JOFEE activities every year, from learning about Jewish harvest rituals to starting a CSA. Combining methods from existing secular models with Jewish learning, wisdom, and traditions, JOFEE programs create entry points to Jewish life and social action.
- The number of people participating in immersive (multi-day) JOFEE activities is growing explosively, from about 2,500 in 2012 to more than 6,000 participants last year. Day programs have reached over 36,000 participants since January 2016 with the help of our JOFEE Fellowship. From children at Teva to teenagers at Ramah Outdoors, from young adults teaching at Eden Village to families celebrating Passover at Isabella Freedman, from staff members at your local JCC to young professionals headed to Israel, JOFEE is changing lives.